Transition Kings Cliffe
Transition Kings Cliffe (TKC) began in 2010 as a small group of
like-minded people that came together with the intention of doing as
much as we could locally to combat the global challenges of climate
change and fossil fuel depletion, based on the idea that if we all
do our little bit we can collectively make a difference. The group
has grown considerably since then and to date we have launched
- Transport Group: Urging people to use their legs/bikes more,
and share vehicles where possible. This group is very active on the cycling front, with regular free bike maintenance workshops,
bike spares and reconditioned bikes available, bike ride leaflets, and other cycling initiatives. We also have a TKC minibus, which
is available for hire at very reasonable rates, and we’re working on regular minibus services for the community.
- Food Group: Promotion of localised food production and minimisation of waste. Our Orchard Group has worked with the Kings Cliffe Endowed School to utilise some of their land to plant fruit trees for the school’s use. We have also secured a second Community Orchard site in the Pytchell, which is open to all. We have an allotment project, which has created mini-allotments that have proved very popular, and we’re also putting together a Local Food Directory. Our latest venture is the creation of an ethical food bulk buying co-operative, using SUMA as our supplier.
- Wildplaces Group: Kings Cliffe is very lucky to be set in a wide area of wonderful natural environment. We have many sites recognised for their high value for nature and biodiversity and our Wildplaces Group was set up not only to manage these areas for the wildlife, but also to encourage villagers to get out and enjoy them. There are many well documented benefits of interacting with nature for both children and adults, from general fitness and fighting obesity, to improving concentration and easing depression. We run regular work parties to manage these areas and keep them open to visitors, and always welcome new volunteers. We also organise guided walks where we explore our wild places, and discover interesting plants, animals, birds and insects. Everyone is encouraged to join in: villagers new and old, families and children, amateurs and experts!
As well as bringing our community together and helping it become
more sustainable these projects are a lot of fun, and we’re always up
for ideas about new projects. So if you’re interested in joining us
please contact us at:
firstname.lastname@example.org. You will
then be added to our members distribution list and receive an invite
to the next transition meeting, attending which is probably the best
way to meet the group, find out what we’re doing, and let us know
where your interests lie.
Come along to the Transition Christmas Fair, and support your local businesses this Christmas by buying locally. This year the TKC Christmas Fair will take place in the Village Hall and Underground Centre on Sunday 26th November 2017, 11am - 4pm. Once again there will be a fantastic variety of local businesses, mainly from Kings Cliffe and surrounding villages, selling beautiful, top quality wares. Find unique and individual presents for your family and friends such as Fine Art, Craft, Jewellery, Ceramics, Textiles, Photography, Preserves, Cakes, Cards, Aromatherapy products and Hand Crafted Real Ales. There will be a chance to win a hamper bursting with local goodies. Kick back, relax and socialise at The King's Cliffe Brewery Bar, lots of hold and cold food stalls and the Cafe too.
Any questions contact Anna on: email@example.com
Freecycling is all about keeping useful stuff out of the rubbish bins, skips and landfill sites. If you have something to get rid of for free, or are looking out for free items then the following options might be for you..
- Join the
Kings Cliffe Community Facebook group
and find out what's being freecycled between members.
- Join the Kings Cliffe Village Forum and check out the
Freecycle section within Classifieds.
Peterborough Freecycle or
then just type in your postcode and set your search/wanted
radius to 5, 10 or 20 miles.
- Continue the village tradition of putting your unwanted
items outside your house for unsuspecting freecyclers.
TKC Facebook Page
We have a lively facebook page where you can see day to day news and events. If you use Facebook you’re very welcome to join our group or simply peruse: